Monday 7 November 2016

Character & Narrative- Week 4- Character Sheets

Week 4- 

Character Sheets

This week has been about getting my characters developed enough to start to build them. This starts with character sheets. As the female is the new main character, this is the first sheet needed to get a good look at who the character is going to be. Here early on in the week I started by doing the front and back. These let me see how the clothes are supposed to look, as well as her face from head on.
Here is what the colour pallet tests were originally like, she was from the Victorian era so there is a lot of darker colours, but when I think of Victorian times, I always like them to be taking on more of the Steampunk movement so the colours are more browns and sepia tones. This let me see a full range of what she could look like so there were a few to choose from. This is why I did the male character next. This was so i could look at them together and see which ones look like they belong together.
This is a mood board i've done to look at what gentleman looked like in the past as well as how they are shown in the steampunk movement. This is just so i can see what clothes should be present as well as colours in the clothing, and even materials and textures.

Here is the start of the male character sheet. It is again just the front and back, as to look at the face and clothes so I can see what he is wearing. He is in a waistcoat as to match her look, as well as a rotting face to show he is a zombie. Still needing to do the sides and 3/4 views for both, This just lets there be a starting point as i really struggle with those point of views, so they would take longer.
This is the colour pallet test for the male character. As the era and movement they are from gave me colours to work with, his colours are quiet dark. Towards the last two after experimenting with the colours, i changed the textures of the outfits as well as adding a bowtie instead of a tie. This added more personality to him and created more of a stand alone character instead of a side character. But after looking at this sheet i dont know if they will look like a couple enough.

Here are the two of them together and as I thought, they dont look enough of a couple as a pair. It did however let me see their sizes together and what they will look like as an 'opposites attract' couple of one being a skeleton and one a zombie.
After looking at the two together, I went back and tweaked a few of the designs to look more complementary to his design as i really like to colours on his outfit. I have added a greyer hue to her skirt in the bottom right, as well as adding more subtle browns so they aren't as strong.Moving on from doing the colour tests, I really needed to show the side views of the characters so I could start building them up. The side views let me see width that the front wouldn't show. These also let me see ow i want the dress to hang, as well as getting a clearer look at the character as a whole. She is still more of a sketch but i will build this up and add colour when i have solidly chosen a pallet.
 This is the side views of the male character. This is for the same reason as the female, so I can see width and how their body shape looks from different angles. He is easier as a shape, as he is more of a lanky character. Whereas she is more curvy.



No comments:

Post a Comment