Wednesday 17 May 2017

Applied Animation- Evaluation

Applied Evaluation

This module has been one of the most helpful to me as a student as it has made it clear what I would like to do in my future, as well as what I could do with the 3rd year and further for work. Within Applied, I have gained so many new skills and experiences that I can take forward into the future. This was because it was the first large project I had been a part of, as part of a team. So this took me to new levels of understanding where I fit into a group and what I can bring to the group also.

When starting Applied, I was intrigued by the thought of doing a documentary, but this was a really hard task to take on, as we needed to fit so much narrative into such a small period of time. So this was a challenge for all of us in the group as we needed to make sure everyone understood what we were trying to tell them and educate them about. Which was Palm Oil. Overall I do think we teach people to think more about Orangutan's and the impact that has been made on their land and the rainforest. So this was an accomplishment, but if you dont know of palm oil, before the facts at the end, it could be confusing, yet with the facts, the confusion is answered so the audience understand. Yet I did step far out of my comfort zone doing an abstract animation, courtesy of one of our team members that normally does this. So it really opened me up into new styles and new ways of working and building sets that I had not tried before. So this is a change I was unsure about but works for the context of our story, and what we are showing because of the symbolism.

When doing this project there have been many points of learning and progression of my skills. How to work under pressure, how to animate more carefully, how to juggle building 2 sets at once, and more that have made me understand more about how it would feel within the industry with so many people counting on you. I have learned most of my new skills, when editing and using Dragon Frame. As I used this software for Character & Narrative but didn't really know what I was doing, so as my team mates taught me, I learned so much that helps me. One being the toggle tool, onion skinning and actually setting it up on 2's as I didn't know this was even a setting to change. So this was really good to know and has made me more confident using software. Especially when in editing. I did a lot of new things when editing so this was something that I can take with me now. I understand more about key framing, colour correction and taking out a blue screen my hand through key framing the scene. So this was something that I was proud to learn as I have always been scared of software before this.

When asking our tutor about the animation he mentioned the sets being good but looking flat through the camera. This was something I had not realised before but I know what he meant and this is something I will have to learn more about and change. I dont know much about lenses or which one to use so this is something I will have to ask peers about to gain more of a understanding. But the sets, I was planning on splitting them in 3rd year if needed. So it ends up like Aardman where the background is really far away as this adds depth to the scene and makes the foreground the main focus.

In the past my animations have been rather linear, which ends up looking boring and simple. So for this, I feel we did well to include close-ups, mid frame shots, wide frame shots more, as it gives variety. Not just that, but it makes the audience feel more involved and like the characters are important and to be sad when they die. Which when shown to different audiences, shows this is the effect it gains. This is why cinematography really come into play and became so important. I didn't really think of it too much after the story boards in my last projects, so this time I really took a step back on different occasions to see where a different camera angle or close-up was needed to show more to the audience.

Pre production was something we were really good at splitting up and organising, we all shared colour pallets, initial storyboarding, they did characters and I did the sets. Although I was mainly in change of the animatic. I am very proud of the work I produced as I didn't just drag in the storyboard into the animatic and leave it like most, I nearly fully digitally animated our animation to show our audience before our pitch, yet this was important as it gave people a much clearer view of what we were planning to do than when they were still images, so everyone knew what we were going to do and our plan. So this was something that I was proud to show as it showed our progress and how I was willing to work hard to produce our documentary. This all meant that by the time our pitch came, we had set designs, character designs, concept work we all produced, as well as primary and secondary research we all produced as well as many more. Including a ghantt chart we followed throughout.

From the beginning I was wanting to do the sets for this animation, as I made them for my last animation and found I much prefer a hands on approach. So this gave me the chance. I am so happy I chose this option, because it has made me realise I want to pursue a career in set/prop design. So this decision really paid off. When doing the sets, I mentioned in different posts, that the nest scene was not done in my style, as I am never one to do abstract and collage work. So this was a whole new area for me to go into.

Yet I dont mind the result, but I would have liked to do the whole thing in felt, to match the style but couldn't afford all of the materials. So for the cost I had, I feel I worked as well as I could and produced all I could in the time. For the larger set. I love how this turned out, for the digger scenes As they worked out to be the correct sizes, as well as looking green and alive as a forest scene. Yet I know I can do better. So this is a task and goal I am setting myself for next year, so I can work harder and produce more pieces of work that I can be proud of, like props and small scenes that I can put in my portfolio. Although the comment I got from our final animation was that it looked flat, so this brings it back to needing to learn more about the lenses and how depth works through a camera to avoid this. as I dont want my sets to look flat and boring.

When editing I have learned much from my previous year. I didn't know how to really use software for this other than Photoshop. So I know have a much better chance of a high quality animation that I can colour correct, edit and apply effect to, that look better than in photoshop. This is from working with a team, it had had so many benefits to me personally as I have grown so much from the first year to now and have learnt so much from this module, just from what they have been able to tell me about editing and software. So this stage was a whole lot better than the first year when I didn't know anything about the editing stage really, so this shows my growth that I can use within the 3rd year also.

When working within a team, we found we worked really well together. We worked hard, worked well as a team and didn't have any angry arguments. Something we did do, was deliberate and try to find the best outcomes for our animation. This was nothing negative, as it showed we were able to talk to each other honestly and not tip toe around each other, we got things done and to the best of our abilities. We did have issues though, mostly with equipment, which is why we got held up when animating as this was a stage we had not really planned for. As we couldn't find cameras, lenses, lighting and stands so all of this effected our process, as well as the outcome. So next year we will be making sure to have everything we need, when we need it so this does not happen, and we dont get stuck behind.

When starting out this module, I really didn't like the thought of working with others for something so big, but now, i have grown into the thought and know I couldn't have done it alone, or at least would have had a whole lot more stress with it. This is why i enjoyed this project once it got going, as I realised that you cant always be in control and you need to share the burden, something I really wasn't used to, so this was hard to get used to, but i have by the end. So I am fully open to the thought of doing this next year, and sharing out jobs, in order to see what can be done in a team, not just alone.

This is why i will be doing stop-motion in the future, as a definite. And over summer, I want to hone and build my skills into making quality products for props and sets. So I can come back and someone have good faith in me to produce something they will love, as well as me. So this is why I will be doing all of this at home, so I can also add it to my portfolio, and further my skills as a set designer and hands on worker. So this is what this module has done for me, it has opened me up to new possibilities, boosted my confidence and made me want to work harder and produce more and more for hand made items that I can use within sets. whether this be furniture, books, tiny plants, animals or even puppets, as I dont want to forget how to make them. So I have a plan set for my self that I hope to be able to do within these 4 months, so i can come back a more enlightened person from the start of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment