Wednesday 26 April 2017

Responsive- Character Design Reference- Game of Thrones

Character Design Reference- 

Game of Thrones- Original Idea

The original idea for this months character was Brienne of Tarth as she is a strong woman as you can see from the mood board I made to get a good look at her outfit, features and her personality.
This is just a small sketch I started with, I wanted to see what I could do with the hair as I tend to struggle with short hair on women as they never look right. I am happy with how this turned out though as it could look like her with more detail and colour added.
 To start with I sketched a full size version of her drawing her sword. I like the sketch of her body at this point but her face is wrong. Yet I cant see what's needing to be fixed. I am going to leave this design for a while and see if it looks better or worse over time.
After a few days I came back and inked the design, this is when I knew the face was really what ruined the design. It doesn't look enough like a powerful character for anyone to know who she was even if I did enter this character into the competition. This is when I decided to change the character to my other favorite powerful woman from the series
Margaery Tyrell is the other character I was toying with drawing from the start, I haven't really drawn any women in dressed for a while so I have missed doing this so I am exited to draw a  female character. I wanted to make her more cartoon like so this will be an interesting task to do.

I have chosen to do her in watercolours as I wanted to see the effect I could gain from this on her dress as I have been a fan of watercolour over the past few weeks instead of digital. I am happy with how she turned out, apart from the face again, I have been stuck with faces recently so this obviously wasn't my day to get it right. I am ok with her not being the best as it taught me that the face is something I do actually need to study to get a style that I can stick with for a while.

I do like the watercolour though, as it is delicate and full of motion in the dress, yet shiny in the sigil behind her. Which is the element I like most about this piece, along with the skirt. I have also been able to add subtle highlights to the skin that I normally struggle to do with watercolour so I have been able to gain and show some more skills in this piece that I am happy with.

This is the last character I will be doing for Character Design Challenge before the deadline of responsive but it has really let me develop myself and I will be carrying on over the holiday to carry on producing and submitting for this site.

No comments:

Post a Comment