Wednesday 18 April 2018

Extended Practice- Study task 1- Extended Brief- More Set Furniture

Extended Brief- More Set Furniture

As the set needs props, I built a corner unit to fill out the corner and display a lot of different items.
This was when I tested out what props would look like on the unit and how it fills out.

I then  wanted a china cabinet. It has windows in the doors so plates, bowls and cups can be shown as well as draws below.
This is the corner unit also showing a grandfather clock for the set. It has metal rings for the pendulums, as well as a clock face with plastic as a glass cover effect.

These two units below are made of cardboard and are more bulky to make the furniture look less uniform as the shop needs to look  quite random. For detail, I added more wood linings, as well as knobs and card to cover the showing cardboard ends.

This is another display unit. It has a mesh cover so items placed inside can be seen and add to the detail of the shop. I did this by dipping string into PVA to make it more rigid before gluing them in place on the front. 



I then added wood lining like on the draws to again make the piece more layered.

Finally i painted it blue to look different from the brown as there were a lot of the same colour. I then added items to the inside before gluing the front on.


As the dad is working at his desk at the start and by the end, he needed a large desk and chair. This is the back of the chair.
I wanted it quite basic, while still adding detail and matching the desk somewhat so it doesn't look out of place.
The desk was particularly hard as it was flimsy to start with but once I started adding more walls and stability, it all came together. I also tested the chair to make sure the character can sit at it comfortably as well as get his legs under the desk.

For the set I wanted a working lamp. For this I salvaged a toilet roll, dowel and handle that all made the perfect shape. I then needed the light aspect to work, so I cut a hole in the back big enough for a fairy light and placed it inside. Below you can see this works really well and will add just a little bit more light and atmosphere to the set and scenes.





No comments:

Post a Comment