Thursday 12 January 2017

Responsive- Harry Potter Designs

Harry Potter Designs

As my aim was to be more hands on with this design, i've done some watercolour tails to show how the colours can merge together and create depth within the tail. The different colours create different overall looks so colour will be important when choosing the tail designs and colours.



I like this shape the most as it creates more of a feminine curve drawing the eye down to the tail shape. The greens and yellows also look really nice compared to the blues as they may blend more into the ocean blue background. This also gave me time to experiment with the watercolours and different effects as I really love the layered up effect.
 These were experimentations for the face and what style I should be designing her in. As mermaids are that deep in the ocean, scientists found that if they would be real, they would look similar to the first design, with no hair and no noses but large gills. This intrigued me but the hair created in Harry Potter seemed too different and unique to leave out. I also wanted to make sure it could still be seen as a Harry Potter creation. (as this was in the rules)

The final piece will be digital, this is becuase I have becuase comfortable with this medium but I would like to try and do a hand drawn piece for one of these challenges. For this design, I will stick to using Photoshop. I was experimenting with brushes and effects that could be created to try and give different overall textures and looks. This was a watercolour brush used on the tail as well as using the blending brush, which I didn't know about, to merge it all together.
This is the final design. There are elements of this design which I love, like the hair and tail. The tail was different textured brushes which create a scaled look as well as letting it seem like the ocean is creating different fragments of light within the tail. I loved doing the hair and face. As these are elements I feel to look like the Harry Potter mermaid and i'm pleased with how they turned out. The hair has different tones and colours that adds a full look to her locks with different highlights and lowlights where needed to create this look overall.

The one main thing I would change, would be the outlines as they look childish to me. This was becuase I used a paintbrush, whereas, I think when a pencil is used, the lines can be thinner and have a more smooth overall appearance. This is all things to go towards future designs so I can improve and gain different aesthetics and effects that make my designs look better.


No comments:

Post a Comment