Friday 20 January 2017

Responsive- Loopdeloop- Cute- Finalising Concept & Animation

Loopdeloop- Cute 

Finalising Concept & Animation

As I wanted to be more hands on this project, I have painted using watercolour, for a lot of the pre-production designs so I can get a feel for colours, designs, shapes and positions. This is an air ship that I would like placed in the background as it will be floating in the sky and the llama will jump onto it for the apples.
Here are some of the apple designs, I couldn't decide what they should look like so I decided to do a huge range of different designs, colours, shapes and styles. I loved how many of these turned out yet I can only use on design for the animation so the audience can see they are the food that the llama needs to go for. I think one of the red ones will be the one to go for as they stand out and look cartoony. Along with these apples, I have tested some of the platforms that the llama will jump on and over on the map. I like how these all turned out as they all show a different aesthetic yet since i'm doing this animation digitally, this will affect which design to choose.
This is the first digital sketch done for the background. As I want it panning with the character, the background needs to be long and show enough background to keep the interest of the viewer. Sadly this is an animation challenge, but I think the would overall be a good game idea for phones as it is small and easy to do. In case I want to test doing this idea at some point.
This is the final digital version of my background. I love how it turned out as it is a different aesthetic than what I have tried in the past. As an arcade game, this layout works as it gives the audience different views to look at as the camera pans. The background is showing different terrain that the llama will pass, like a flying land mass, an air ship as well as smooth hills. The sunset feel also adds a warmth to the overall scene and setting.
These llamas are to show the front movement as well as the back as the llama will be walking like Mario used to with minimal leg moves, just a front and back motion. The llamas are a soft pastel that came from my designs at the beginning as well as the mood board. They do look cute so hopefully they will work in the scene with the motion.
Here is just an image from moving the llama and making him eat each of the apples he passes. So far it is going well but taking quite a while as I only have Photoshop to work with on my computer so all of the panning, after effects and sound all have to be added here.

This is the make-shift menu screen needed to make it seem like the viewer is playing the animation. I wanted it to fit the background, so I am designing it like an old power switch in a factory so this should add to the overall aesthetic.
Here is the menu screen, I am very proud about how this looks and turned out as it looks like it is on metal with real buttons. The handle in the middle also turns when the animation starts so this adds to the immersion into the mini game.
Here is the final animation. I'm not happy with all of the elements of this but for the effort put into it in the time frame, Im happy it got done and is complete.
This is sadly the email I received from my submission. Although this did really make me sad and want to no longer submit to competitions, over time I realise they were right about it not looping yet the rest is their own opinion so I cant be deterred from someone who just didn't understand what I was creating or the meaning behind it. This is why instead of stopping, I am going to create another animation and enter that too so show I can create what they want.

As babies are obviously cute, but so are teddy bears, I couldn't decide between the two so I sketched two out and I preferred the bear as it is a style I haven't tried yet. These were both rough sketches but it was nice working in a light colour as I usually only use blacks.
This is how the final animation turned out, Im happy with how he looks as he is still a soft pink so he looks more cute and appealing. He is cheekily pressing a 'do not press' button which also adds to the cute-ness of him. This was more motion than I have created in a while so it makes me want to do more digital, not just stop-motion so i can learn how the body moves more.

This is a confirmation that Loopdeloop liked this animation and posted it to their page. This was a big personal goal as it is awful to be rejected by a competition for your work so I am happy to have stuck with it and added another submission before it was too late.



No comments:

Post a Comment