Sunday 6 March 2016

Studio Brief 2- A Tale in the Sting- character development

Character Development's


I have never drawn and animals before doing this animation, so i feel it will be a real learning curve for me. I wanted to get a real feel for how the animals worked and moved, which is why i have drawn them in many different positions and breeds. This was a very effective study for me as i have really learned how they move and how their joints differ from that of a humans. I have left them quite sketchy as i will be doing the animal in my animation, in the same sort of look. This still shows all the shapes i need from the dogs and the way their bodes flow which is shown from the wispy lines i have done with the bold used on the outline.

While drawing, i also tried to do many different shapes and sizes. This is because i am doing the animals growing as his depression grows. Making the beast more threatening and create more of a presence as it appears.

When deciding upon a person to be affected by this presence. I wanted a skinny male, this is because people suffering with depression sometimes undergo weight loss and loo less healthy, as they are taking less care of themselves. This is why i have sketched some basic male body shapes, to decide upon a final shape and design to go with.

This page is filled with my character development for the animation, exploring face shapes, hair styles, features and the overall body shape. This helped me choose the designs that i feel fit my animation the most, and which i feel have the most impact. I did quite a few designs as i wanted to see what i cold design with the simple cartoon shapes, as this wasn't a style i had tried before.

Out of all these designs i really like the top two to the left, this is because they look simple and cute. This will show how they change throughout the animation and get more tired and run down and the animation plays and the scenes change. This is also the characters body shape that i have shown in more detail. Then went over in pen to make it all more bold and stand out more.



As i was doing different scenes at different times, i have designed different outfits for the character when in different situations. This let me explore drawing different types of clothing on the same character, as well as seeing how i could draw basic clothes to match the same style of the character i have designed.

I really like how these have turned out but after thinking about the animation idea i have, I'm thinking of doing it with a real person as this will add more of an impact as well as a different visual outcome. The character i have designed is based on a real person, who is able to do the scenes for me if asked. I think i will choose this idea as i really love have animations and videos, especially music videos, look with this form of cut out film effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment